How to Block Websites
Blocking websites is the most requested feature parental control software. This is the only way to protect your children from inappropriate content. In the office, this feature will help you to increase the productivity of employees by restricting access to social networks (Facebook, Twitter) and entertainment content (Youtube, online games). This article will show you how to block websites in three different ways. Two of them are free, but have a number of shortcomings and can be easily bypassed. Also we'll show you how to how to block websites using special software. Depending on the situation, you can choose Parental Control to protect your family computers or Employee Monitor to block websites in your office.
How to block websites in Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
2. Click Internet Options
3. Click on the Content tab
4. Click the Enable button
5. Click on the Approved Sites tab
6. Type the website address you want to block, for example, youtube.com
7. Click Never and then OK
8. In the appeared window type and confirm your new password
9. Click on the General tab and make sure to select Users can see websites that have no ratings
10. Click OK
How to block websites using the Hosts file
Note! Make a backup of the hosts file and put it somewhere safe, in case you mess up.
1. Open the hosts file using Notepad or other plain text editor.
2. Find the line 127.0.0.1 localhost
3. To block, for example, the website youtube.com, add this text under 127.0.0.1 localhost:
4. Save and close the Hosts file.
5. Reboot your computer to apply the changes.
6. Try to open facebook.com into a browser.
How to block websites in spite of proxy servers
When you block websites using the Hosts file or Internet Exploter website blocking feature you should be aware that users can easily bypass your restrictions.
First, they can use a proxy server. Also, they can access many websites using the https protocol, such https://facebook.com.
Finally, these methods do not work in one of the most popular web browser - Google Chrome.
So how to reliably block websites in all browsers not doubting that users cannot access them.
The best way to block websites is using special software.
How to block websites using HT Employee Monitor
1. Download and install HT Employee Monitor
2. Click the Block Websites button
3. Click the Add button.
4. In the appeared box, type the website address that you want to block or keyword, for example, twitter
5. Click OK
HT Employee Monitor is easy to use and effective
computer monitoring software that let you to restrict user activity and internet usage.
The program allows you to:
- Block websites in all major browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.)
- Block websites by address and keywords.
- Block websites by categories (Adult content, Porn, Gambling, Chats, Violence, Alcohol, Drugs, etc.)
- Block specified applications, for example, games, instant messengers.
- Monitor computer activities such as visited websites, applications, typed keystrokes, screenshots.