How to Block a Website in Firefox
You can want to block a website in Firefox for many reasons, especially if you find it offensive, or want to protect your children. Since Firefox does not have a build-in function to block sites, you have to use special software, install an extension for Firefox or change the Hosts file on your computer. Keep reading this article to find a answer and to learn how to block a website on Firefox in different ways.
- How to Block a Site on Firefox with Software
- How to Block a Website Using the Hosts File
- How to Block a Website with Firefox Add-ons
How to Block a Site on Firefox with Software
Other way is to use special software, professional applications, that are designed for reliable and excellent blocking. They have high level of protection and allow you to block sites regardless of the type of your browser and users rights on the computer. Here are two programs for home use and for business that help you to block any website or group of websites and have many other useful features.
- Click the Add button near the Banned Websites box.
- Enter the website address you want to block or the keyword, for example youtube. Read how to block Youtube
- Click Apply.
The software allows you block website categories so you don't need to search and enter thousands of key words and addresses, for example, to block porn on your computer. The software also lets you to block websites by schedule or limit the time a user can spend on it.
HT Employee Monitor and Parental Controls have many features that you can find useful. Wit the software you can:
|Block websites in Firefox and other browsers by keywords, names or URLs||Block categories of websites - social networks, chats, porn, etc||Block all websites except specified in White List|
|Block applications - instant messengers, games, etc||Monitor and record computer activities - visited websites, launched applications, etc||Receive email reports with log or view log remotely via Web Console|
How to Block a Website on Firefox Using the Hosts File
The Host file is a system file that is on each computer with Windows and that is used to convert domain names to their IP-addresses, and vice versa. Each browser checks the file after each address input. You can easily block access to a website by adding it to the Hosts file.
The location of the hosts file depends on your operation system. In Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista and Windows XP it is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Open the Hosts file in a text editor.
- Find the line 127.0.0.1 localhost.
- To block a website in Firefox, add such text with its address under the 127.0.0.1 localhost line.
For example, to block Youtube, add:
- Save and close the file.
- Reboot your computer.
- Try to open the banned website in Firefox.
Note! Make a backup of the hosts file and put it somewhere safe, in case you mess up.
Unfortunately, despite of simplicity of this free method, it has disadvantage, cause it can be easily bypassed or work improperly and do not block websites.
How to Block a Website with Firefox Add-ons
Firefox add-ons are extensions that can be add to Firefox and carry out special functions. You can find them on Firefox website. Here we describe how to block a website with the most popular for this add-on BlockSite.
- Open Firefox and go to https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/blocksite/
- Click Add to Firefox and install the extension.
- Go to add-ons settings Tools > Add-ons.
- Click Options under the BlockSite add-on.
- Click the Add button end enter addresses of the sites you want to block.
- Save changes.
At first glance, this is the perfect solution, but any add-on can be disabled or even uninstalled in a few clicks by any user who can find dozens of methods how do it on the Web. The add-on can block only entered URLs and does not allows viewing the statistics.
We have shown different ways to block a website in Firefox. Choose the most suitable for you method.