How to Block a Program
You may have apps on your computer, which you don't want to be run. How to block a program from running. There are many situations when people need to block certain applications. Worried parents who want to restrict violent games, unsafely chats and torrents. Employers who want to block non-work related programs. System administrators can want to block software that may harm a computer.
Firewalls only block programs from accessing the Internet, bun cannot stop program launch. To block a program, you need to use other methods. Here are two ways blocking unwanted applications.
How to Block Programs with Special Software
The best way to easily prevent a program from being launched or from automatic run is to use special software such as HT Employee Monitor for Business or HT Parental Controls for Home, that let you block any application more effective and have many other features to control computer use.
- Download and install the software.
- Click the Application Blocking button.
- Click the Add button.
- Select the program you want to block, or click Browse to find apps that are not listed.
- Save changes.
With the software, you can:
- Block specify applications
- Disable access to system programs - Task Manager, Registry Editor, System Configuration Utility, etc
- Block social networks such as Twitter, Facebook in all popular browsers - Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari
- Filter websites by categories - Porn, Gambling, Drugs, Shopping, Chats, etc
- Block websites by URLs and keywords
- Record computer activities - applications, keystrokes, websites, system activity, screenshots
How to Block Programs with Windows Options
- Press Windows key and R button together.
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK in the appeared window.
- Expand User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System on the left side of the window.
- Double click Don't run specified Windows applications on the right side.
- Select the Enabled radio button, and then click the Show button.
- Type in the name of the EXE file you want to forbid.
- Enter all applications you want to prevent from running.
- Save changes and close the windows.
Blocking apps in Windows 7, 8 does not require another software, but it has disadvantages. It can be easily bypassed, because there is no possibility to set up a password on your settings, and other users can do the same and unblock the banned programs. Sometimes it is not always easy to determine a name of the exe file of the unwanted program.
You can block programs more simple and reliable with professional blocking software that has a predefined list of installed programs such as HT Employee Monitor or HT Parental Controls. Try both methods and choose the best.