How to block Facebook
There are many reasons to block Facebook. Facebook as well as other social networks can be a source of many problems.
For employers, Facebook is decreasing of employees' productivity and extensive company losses. For parents,
it is anxiety about children's safety. For schools and universities, Facebook is another headache. Let us show
you how to block Facebook and avoid problems connected with it.
The Hosts file method and blocking Facebook in Internet Explorer are free but can be easily bypassed. Other way of blocking Facebook is using special software such as Employee Monitor (for Business) or Parental Controls (for Home), that allows you to block Facebook more effective and has many features.
How to block Facebook using HT Employee Monitor
The best way to block Facebook website with no chance to be bypassed is using special software.
We'll show you how to block Facebook using Employee Monitor:
1. Download and install HT Employee Monitor
2. Click Facebook Blocking
3. Select the Block Facebook radio button or the Limit Facebook time to one if you want just limit Facebook time usage.
4. Click OK
HT Employee Monitor has many other features. It combines effective internet filter with monitoring and blocking features. It can restrict and record any users' activities. It allows you to:
- Block Facebook and any other social networks in all major browsers (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc)
- Block specific websites by URL
- Block specific websites by keywords
- Block websites by categories (Adult Content, Porn, Gambling, Violence, Drugs, etc.)
- Restrict access to any application (instant messengers, browsers, games, and so on)
- Monitor remotely all your employees' computer activities (typed keystrokes, visited websites, system activity, launched applications, screenshots and more).
How to block Facebook in Internet Explorer only
1. Open Internet Explorer and click Tools
2. Click Internet Options and then click on the Content tab
3. Click the Enable button
4. Click on the Approved Sites tab
5. Enter facebook.com in the box
6. Click Never and then OK
7. In the appeared window enter and confirm your new password
8. Click on the General tab and make sure to select Users can see websites that have no ratings
9. Click OK
How to block Facebook using the Hosts file
The location of the hosts file depends on your operation system.
Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Note! Make a backup of the hosts file and put it somewhere safe, in case you mess up.
1. Open the hosts file using Notepad or other plain text editor.
2. Copy the following:
# block facebook
3. Paste it into the Hosts file after 127.0.0.1 localhost
4. Save and close the Hosts file.
5. Reboot your computer to apply the changes.
6. Try to open Facebook in a browser.
Note! Pay attention that when you block Facebook using the Hosts file users can access Facebook through the HTTPS protocol. See how to block https://facebook.comNote! Pay attention that Google Chrome may ignore the Hosts file.
See how to block Facebook on Google Chrome
Disadvantages of free methods
It's sad but the methods described above have many disadvantages.
1. They can be easily bypassed.
Web-based proxy servers or anonymizers allow getting Facebook despite the ban. The hosts file method can be remote in the same way it was set.
See also how to limit Facebook usage time.
2. They block only one page of a website.
One more shortcoming of these methods is that they block only one specified page of website. So for facebook.com it will be just the main page and all others will be available.
3. They may not work properly on your computer.
Many users complain that while the implementation of the method problems occur. For example, Google Chrome ignores the Hosts file. Many users complain that even after the ban has been properly set, nothing happens. The unwanted websites can be opened as they have not been banned. In come cases it's real lottery.
We recommend two different products to block Facebook. For business, HT Employee Monitor which allows you to improve the productivity of your employees. For home, it is HT Parental Controls, which helps you make the Internet safety for your children.