How to Block Websites
There are many reasons to block websites - Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. Let us show you how to block websites in all major browsers and all Windows versions. In the article you will find 3 ways how to block websites with website blocking software and Windows settings.
How to block websites with website blocking software
The best way to block websites is to use special website blocking software. Such software, in contrast to other methods, is protected from bypassing, lets you block websites more effectively and has many advantages. We recommend using HT Employee Monitor for business and HT Parental Controls for home to block certain websites in all popular browsers.
- Download and install the software on your computer.
Download HT Employee Monitor
Download HT Parental Controls
- Click Website Blocking.
- Click the Add button and enter the address of website you want to block into the box that appears.
You can add a URL or keyword. For example, enter facebook.com or facebook.
Note! You can block unwanted keywords. If the program finds the keyword from your list on a web page, it will close the page.
HT Employee Monitor and HT Parental Controls have many features that allow you restrict unwanted websites or applications and control user activity. These are easy to use and effective computer monitoring and website blocking software. The programs allow you to:
|Quickly and easily block websites in all major browsers - Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.||Block websites by URLs, by keywords and by categories - Porn, Gambling, Chats, Violence, Drugs, etc.||Block applications - games, instant messengers, chats, torrents, video and audio players, browsers and more|
|Record all computer activities such as visited websites, launched applications, search queries, screenshots||Block all websites except those allowed. Allow only trusted websites and block any others||Customize restrictions for each user account. Set up different filter settings for different users|
How to block websites using the Hosts file
The host file is a service file of Windows used by browsers. You can block websites by adding their URLs to the host file. The hosts file method of blocking websites is free, but can be easily bypassed. This method is not password protected and does not allow blocking https:// sites. Read how to block https sites
Note! Make a backup of the hosts file and put it somewhere safe.
- Open the hosts file with Notepad or other plain text editor.
For Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, the file is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.
- Find the line "127.0.0.1 localhost".
- Enter the URLs of the websites you want to block under this line. For example, to block youtube.com, add the text "127.0.0.1 youtube.com" under "127.0.0.1 localhost". How to block YouTube
- Save and close the Hosts file.
- Reboot the computer to apply the changes.
Note! The host file does not have an extension. When saving it, do not add the extension to the file. Just save it as is.
How to block websites with Windows family safety
This way of blocking websites is suitable only for users without administrator rights. To block websites with family safety for Windows 8:
- Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Security > Set up Family Safety for any user.
- Click on the users you want to block websites for.
- Check "On, enforce current setting" and click Web filtering.
- Check "User can only use the websites I allow" and click "Allows or block specific websites".
- Enter the URL of the website you want to block and click Block. The site will appear in the Blocked websites list.
- Add all websites you want to block.
Windows family safety is a good way to block websites. However a user can bypass it by using special websites knows as proxy servers. This method is only available for users without administrative rights.
In spite of the variety of methods, special website blocking software remains the most simple and effective. HT Employee Monitor and HT Parental Controls allow not only blocking websites, but let you see reports of all visited websites to find out what websites you need to block and to check how blocking works on your computer.
Try free trial to quickly and easily block websites.